Wednesday, February 29, 2012

EDU 414 Topic of Choice - Do you know anyone who graduated from SCSU on time?

Southern has a way of keeping students. If you choose to go to SCSU for your college education, you most likely will not graduate on time. If you choose to transfer to SCSU, you will most likely graduate one to two years after all of your friends in your class. I am not sure what it is about Southern, but I guess the administrators (or whoever) really just like to keep sucking money out of every student for as long as possible. If they have to make students take a ridiculous amount of gen. ed. classes they will. The other option is to not accept transfer students' credits, so they need to retake the exact same class again at Southern. The last option would be to require three pointless W courses or to not offer any needed classes over the intersessions. I have come to believe that Southern will do just about anything to prevent a person from graduating on time.


I transferred to SCSU last year. I am currently attempting to graduate on time with my class. I took two winter classes, I am going to try to take five summer classes, and then additional winter classes next winter. I am also going to be taking six classes this semester and next semester. Since I am going to be an elementary school teacher, I need to have all of my classes completed before I student teach. My goal is to be student teaching Spring 2013 so I can graduate that May. As of right now though, I am not sure if my plan is going to workout. This is mainly because Southern requires elementary education students to double major, and for my second major, no classes are being offered that I need over the summer. I am praying that the community colleges offer the classes I need or my dreams of graduating on time will be crushed by, you guessed it, the one and only SCSU. So I will have taken way too many gen. eds., four W courses, and I will have retaken classes because Southern didn't accept my transfer credits just to graduate a semester late. 


What is even more ridiculous is the fact that for my second major, Liberal Studies, the people made it so that education students could only choose from a certain list of minors. Instead of being like every other student who chooses to major in Liberal Studies, education students have a limited number of minors to choose from. My second major will prevent me from graduating on time because instead of minoring in what I wanted, I had to minor in Psychology and History. There are no History classes being offered over the summer that I need. Thank you to the History Department and Southern, you are crushing my dreams, and possibly making me stay at Southern for another whole semester which I get to pay for out of pocket.


I can't wait to graduate from this oh so wonderful school which keeps students from graduating on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment