Sunday, April 22, 2012

EDU 414 - Free Write Week 14 - Philosophy Teachers

Currently, I am taking PHI 370, which is philosophy of education.  I decided to take it with a different teacher instead of the one the majority of the people take it with.  I am not sure if this was a mistake or not.  I have come to the conclusion that all philosophy teachers at Southern think the same way so it doesn't matter.  For my philosophy class he gives five pop quizzes on the readings.  First of all pop quizzes are BULL.  Answering five multiple choice questions in like three minutes does not show whether you read or not. I read every single freaking time and I have yet to get above a 3/5 on the quizzes.  This is because he makes all of the questions like trick questions and I feel rushed every time I take the quiz.  Yet the person next to me barely shows up to class or reads and keeps getting 4/5 and 5/5 because he is a good guesser.  As if the quizzes weren't bad enough each quiz is worth 5% of your grade.  So if you get a 0/5 on the first quiz, the highest grade you can then get in the class is a 95%.  This is really unfair especially to the people who do read and just don't do well on the quizzes.  Next, he is making us write 3 papers.  Each paper we are allowed to rewrite but he takes over 2 weeks to hand them back. The first paper I got a B+, the next paper I got a B+/A-, I wonder what I will get on the next paper maybe a A-/A.  No matter what you write, philosophy teachers want to make it seem like you improve so they will never give you an A on the first paper even if that is what it is worth.  At this point due to the quizzes I can't even get an A in the class, so why would I bother to rewrite them? This is one of the worst classes I have ever had to take at Southern and I cannot wait to write him a review at the end of the semester. Let's just say it is NOT going to be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment